Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Sunday, February 1, 2009

A tale of dedication and love (or possibly insanity)




Blimey!

What weather forecasters are calling the coldest winter in 13 years certainly is very COLD isn't it!

Today, mindful of the fact that snow was due later, I went to my neighbours at midday as planned so i could medicate his cat and hoped to get down to Ernie and Bobbi soon afterwards as I really wanted to get some Dandelions and Sow Thistle for Jacob and Humphrey. Once it snows it's obviously very bleak and almost imposibble trying to track down teeny baby dandelions hiding from the elements! I therefore had decided that if i could get a good few goodies for the bunnies today, it would last for a day or so and of course they have plenty of fresh supermarket herbs, veggies and fruit-the dandlions and Sow thistle are merely for variety's sake.

As I left to go round my neighbours I caught the weather forcast on 'Country File' It stated that the snow would arrive at about 2.00pm. Earlier than I had expected but fine-I was well within schedule.

I went to my neighbours, measured out the medicine for Rat the Cat, ensured she ate it all, had a quick chat to my neighbour and left. As I opened his back door, the snow appeared almost as though it had been waiting for me! It was wispy and light, it was still perfectly possible to carry out my dandelion quest and I wasn't unduly worried.

I nipped into my house, told everyone I was off and would be back soon and picked up the bag with food, water, spare bedding etc in for Ernie and Bobbi. Literally a couple of minutes had passed since the wispy snow began, but to my horror as I openened my front door there was now a blizzard! I couldn't believe all this snow had suddenly appeared and the walk to the cats was awful-I couldn't see, snow kept hitting my eyes which really hurt and I wasn't feeling very positive at all anymore.

Arriving at the cats, i quickly fed them and had a speedy kiss and hello and then went outside to begin the dandelion and Sow Thistle search. Already snow was covering the ground and it was hard to see anything let alone teeny dandelions. As I desperately tried to track down the incredibly elusive bunny delights, I realise what an utter madwoman I must look like as I scurried around looking for virtual needles in a haystack in a blizzard! I love my bunnies though and if they want dandelions, then they get dandelions-I wasn't giving up so soon after beginning. I managed to get a few bits of Sow Thistle and dandelions but still needed lots more so set off for another part of the garden to search there. That was when the hail started. It was literally snowing an absolute blizzard AND hailing all at once. The hail was bizarre-if you've ever seen the small round polystyrene balls you get in beanbags that go everywhere, you'll know what this hail looked like. The effect of the hail on the ground was exactly as though a beanbag had spilled everywhere.It was really weird as I honestly couldn't get out of my head the idea that there were balls of polystyrene everywhere. they didn't melt or change shape, but remained as perfect circles littering the ground.

Now, there's love anddedication and there's insanity, so at this point I decided that retreat seemed like the sensible plan! I fled back to the greenhouse, not before looking in the window and seeing Ernie and Bobbi looking all dry and happy staring at me in confusion. Bobbi even gave a big meow at me through the glass!
As I went into the greenhouse I realise that I was now spreading hail everywhere inside as the tiny balls were apparently as light as polystyrene too and kept dropping off my hat and shouldersd and even my gloves. I felt like a one woman weather machine! The door to the greenhouse doesn't close properly and thus enables Bobbi and Ernie to be able to come and go as they please. Bobbi, Ernie and I all stood in awe as the hail poured through the opening and piled up inside. It really was extraordinary to see.

I stayed a while fussing them then noticed the snow had abated so thought it a good time to leave-while I could. As I got to the gate I became aware of something, looked round and it was Ernie. He was meow, meow, meow. I fussed him, dodged numerous attepts to scratch and bite me (as you do with Ernie) and eventually walked a particularly scary walk back to the greenhose with Ernie who was afraid of the wind and the funny noises and kept going for me again and again and again.Note:Jeans and boots do not only offer protection against the elements!

By the time I got home my hands were really hurting (you can't wear gloves when picking dandelions or stroking Ernies)and I still had to go down the garden and refill the bird tables, feeders etc for the birds.It's endless this looking after business!

I've warmed through again now and will NOT be venturing forth again until tomorrow (Oh, well apart from to top up the bird tables again as they get up well before me in the morning and need breakfast!. I'm not the only one less than enthralled with snow. Basil won't entertain the idea at all and Tom is pretty disgusted by the whole idea of it too. As the snow only settled latterly after the wind eased off a bit I don't have any photos of Tom today but this one at top of this post was taken a couple of years ago and says it all really.

More still to come so keep warm everyone and keep safe.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Gosh - what a day ! Thanks for sharing - & so articulately as well - you're quite the writer! :) xxx

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie