Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How many plumbers does it take to mend a broken tap?



"Can you see him yet Tom?"


Have you ever heard that joke? Me neither. This isn't a joke though-I'm living it!

Today I have plumber number 2 coming to look at the taps. My dear Mother/landlady is rather unhappy about having to buy two new taps as per the advice of the British Gas plumber. She's prefer they needed new washers which is cheaper of course. This means she's trawled the Yellow Pages and found a plumber who'll do a free quote and the poor man has to come out and in a deja vu experience have a look at the taps and for the second time, diagnose the problem. I can't abide strangers in my home-I get very anxious and especially men. I don't like men coming here who I don't know when only I'm in but my Mum thinks I'm being over dramatic and won't come round to be here too.

I therefore have to have these people round, they tell ME what the problem is,I tell Mum and she doesn't believe me/doesn't want to believe me and then another person is sent round and the experience is repeated.

This chap said on the telephone that he thinks it's washers. Oh, well, it's not my money I suppose, I just want to be able to have a wash in a sink and not hanging over the bath!!

I Will try to post a more interesting post later though I can't promise it'll be more interesting! I do have to go into town between now and the plumber coming round and my town though small is often very strange-perhaps small and strange go together! I don't come from here originally and I'm therefore known as an 'outsider'. People say that to your face. Oddly, most of the people I know and get on best with are also 'outsiders', somehow we seem to find one another. The 'outsiders' are usually the people who have got things changed for the better here too, created popular clubs and societies and so forth.

Why this stigma remains is beyond me but when I lived in Bournemouth, there was a very high percentage of people who had moved into the area. Several had literally visited Bournemouth on holiday and then stayed! One family I knew, came on holiday then the Mum and children stayed (never going back 'home' again) whilst the husband went back to work and sold the house etc before re-joining them back in Bournemouth!! It was such a beautiful place and I miss it beyond words. Can't talk about it anymore as tears already in my eyes.

Right, best get organised, hoover up rabbit poo and food, pick up Basil's hairball (again-Persians are so troubled by them), hoover downstairs of cat hair (moulting says something about the central heating situation methinks)and shut Basil, Jacob and Humphrey into my bedroom again for health and safety reasons. Poor Basil hates strangers more than I do, and my anxiety is increased by Basil's genuine terror when strangers are in the house. To have to go through this again, and possibly again if new taps are needed upsets me and also makes me cross. I'm very protective of my guys-they're my children after all.



"Shush, I'm hiding!"

No comments:

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie