Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Sunday, February 22, 2009



Remember how Jeannette as guest designing on the Cupcake Craft Challenges blog? I said I'd take part and I need to get it done by today officially. It's been a disaster. I've really messed it up, it looks awful but hey, I'll show it to you anyway! This is essentially a post about how NOT to cover a box!

I had the best of intentions, cover a post it note or whatever they're called holder, embellish it and then decorate the blanks pieces of paper to co-ordinate with the outside of the box. The original box is as above.

I decided to use the same paper as I used to make the cat card on my post about The Cinnamon Trust. Too late in the day I realise that covering the box would be a bit tricky due to the lid lifting. This means of course that the paper will bunch up a bit and I was worried this may be a problem.




Anyway, I persevered and in hindsight covered the wrong sides in the wrong order. It's ended up being a real mess but I promised I'd get something done for today so I've kept at it (through the tears! sob!) and this is the result. If you think you can see poor edging-yep you can. The lid needed a much thicker bit of paper to stop the underneath showing through and in handling it, I nearly dropped it and any edges that had been vaguely acceptable were scuffed by my fingers although I didn't realise that of course until I had taken the picture in the rapidly fading light! I'm sure you can all point out many other things wrong with it-finding something right is much harder-nigh impossible! Sigh!

Never mind, you can see my master plan at least! It could have been nice, it just isn't. As usual the whole hindsight thing comes into play and I'm sure the next one would be alot better. The thing is I'm never doing this again-it's been horrible! I know when I'm beaten!




Seriously though, it is awful but I realise what went wrong (all of it) but at least I kept going and finished it. It's really hard continuing with something you feel gutted about but I'm glad I did as I can see my idea was OK, just the logistics went a bit awry. Just realised I haven't even taken a photo of the lid on the outside! It's too dark now though perhaps that would work to my benefit and trick you all into thinking it looks amazing, it's just a bit dark when really it looks as awful as the rest of it! Never mind, it didn't work, hey ho, there's always tomorrow's project to try and get better.
Materials used:
Paper will check out
Stampin Up Very Vanilla and Old Olive card
Old Olive ink and grosgrain ribbon
Alphabet stickers unknown
Fish and cat punches
Paw print stamp by Anitas
Cat stamp by Stampcraft
Tom cat stamp unknown as no mark on wood

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Jennie, it looks fine, I don't know what your so worried about. The first time is always the trickiest and then it just gets easier after that. I love the paper you used and the ribbon and images finish it off nicely, well done!

Stephanie said...

Will you behave? This looks fantastic - love the colours! The paper is just spot on with that cute kitty cat & love the detail on the post it's *big thumbs up* xxx

Kate Lewis said...

Jennie you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself! It is really nice - truly, I can't see anything wrong with it -I really like it! thanks for the link to our PTI blog! Kate x

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie