Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Now that's a surprise!



This is the best example of snow I can find today! It's been a glorious day-very sunny and bright, totally unexpected but most welcome!

Yesterday we still had plenty of snow both on the ground and falling-it snowed virtually constantly all day. I watched the news and weather, as we all did, with a sense of fear, more snow was forecast, very heavy in places and today (Tuesday) was supposed to be even worse than yesterday due to the added ice element which would be treacherous according to numerous weather forecasts.

In reality, it started to rain yesterday evening and didn't stop before I went to bed at least and I was up late watching Newsnight and then more doom laden news and weather!

I opened my bedroom curtain for a sneak peak this morning not knowing what I would find had happened. To my amazement and relief I saw no sign of snow, no rain either, just a bit wet on the road and pavements really as would be expected.

I went over the road to medicate the neighbours cat and felt my usual sun affected cheerful self! I really do feel lively and hopeful when it's sunny-it's so hard when my body so stubbornly resists all encouragement and finally begging from my mind to get moving! I'm very M.E'y as I call it-my M'E' has been awful for a while now-acute for much of it which is very tedious indeed. I long to make cards, scrapbook, all sorts of projects but struggle to even have a wash. It's at the awful stage where a shower is too much so my poor hair is not looking it's best-thank goodness I have no one to impress. My pain is always worst at these times too, my sleep disturbed with awful and very vivid nightmares and sleep sweats are a real problem too. Gosh, I sound very attractive don't I? More like Loretta Slob from the Harry Enfield show!

Joking aside, it's really hard living like this and it's hard to keep my head calm and not plummet itself. The sun shining does help my head but increases my extreme frustration when my body says no ala the computer in Little Britain:

Me:'Shall we try and hoover a room'
Body: 'No'
Me: How about having a shower?'
Body: 'You'll never make it and feel like death afterwards'
Me: 'What about sweeping up the bird seed-we'll get rats otherwise'
Body: 'Is that a serious question?'
Me: 'A card needn't take up too much energy..'
Body: 'No, No, No, No, No!'
Me: 'I have to go and feed Ernie and Bobbi though'
Body: 'Snorts'.

This is my life and even with the sun shining it's hard to stay calm. It gets me down, I look at other blogs and they're full of amazing things and mine is useless and empty. I look at all my craft stuff and I'm too tired to even find the materials to make a project let alone make one. I'll regret spending so long writing this, even with goodness knows how many breaks to rest!

Never mind, I didn't want to post all moany and melancholy. Let's get back to the planned post shall we?




This is Ernie this morning having a wash outside his igloo-one of his many beds. By his I mean that is what Ernie would call all the beds he and Bobbi have avaiable to them. I would say 'the' beds rather than 'his' beds but let's not split hairs
!
It occurred to me that I speak of Ernie and Bobbie but haven't shown the beds I've sorted out for them to get them through the Winter.This igloo was on ebay and is actually for a dog-a spaniel size I think. It's fantastic, so sort of futuristic and everyone who's seen it has been very impressed. It came with a clear plastic door that a dog could push easily to get in and out. I felt this wouldn't work with Ernie and Bobbi so I removed it and hunted on the internet for ideas. I managed to find the answer on a Canadian Site ( I think-should check actually and provide link)who have all sorts of advice regarding keeping animals warm outside. The answer was to get a couple of rolls of bubble wrap which holds the heat in well. I attached it to the door with double sided tape and cut it nearly all the way through to form the strands you can see. I gradually added it bit by bit, not covering the whole door to begin with and moving into covering the door and adding a few layers.




Inside the igloo is a fairly large area and I feared it wouldn't be cosy enough for a single cat-Ernie and Bobbi aren't great friends so they'd never share. I have used every old blanket, jumper etc I can find plus some bought gorgeous soft fleeces which hold the heat really well. I cut up a couple of old duvets and seemed them to make little beds that will fit into a pillow case and use them aplenty. With Bobbi's small cosy bed I cut the duvet smaller and cut up a fleece to make bespoke cases which she loves!

Just inside the igloo I have a bolster cushion I cut in half and that is right against the side to narrow the entrance. I also have a couple of towels (to dry wet feet) just inside the entrance and then have built up the bedding so the cats need to climb into their bed as it were. The bedding inside then drops down so with the entrance higher than the sleeping area any cold air that does sneak past the bubble wrap door will go over their head. It's very popular so it must be good!I will take some photos of the other beds soon so you can see what's else on offer!




This is Bobbi in her high bed right by the window and a fantastic suntrap. It was really warm in the greenhouse today, as always when it's sunny. Bobbi loved it up in this bed-she has a warm 'Bobbi bed' but Bobbi does love being outside so when it's a bit chilly to be out or too wet for puss cat feet, Bobbi will happily snuggle in this bed for hours catching the suns rays and warming her bones.

No comments:

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie