Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Plastic's not fantastic!


Before the world went 'green' I worried about energy consumption, bought energysaving lightbulbs that cost a fortune, took my own bags out with me and annoyed shop assistants by refusing to use a bag to put a bunch of bananas or a few oranges in! I'm a vegetarian and ethical concerns are contagious - once you've adopted one, countless others follow others follow.

I favour the oilcloth/PVC variety as strong and waterproof, handy when you live in the UK. Nothing lasts forever though and every so often the handles break or a tiny hole becomes apple sized and the bag is retired to become a pretty storage bag for winter hats, gloves and scarves..(yep, I have rather a collection of these too!).

Sadly I've had a run of bag retirements, happily I spotted these fabulous Burleigh shopping bags and unable to choose between the two patterns got both as they'll be used that's for sure.

They're a bit smaller than my usual shoppers but size isn't everything (apparently) and anyway they satisfy the William Morris criteria being both useful and beautiful.

I love Burleigh patterns and am chuffed to bits with my new aquisitions. I've noticed that Oxfam are now pushing the 'bring your own bag' approach and if reducing the size of ugly, smelly and toxic landfill sites isn't your thing and you don't mind the 'cut hand' look and accompanying pain, remember the whole 'I'm not a plastic bag' frenzy and get hip! (Besides as far as I'm concerned Primark may be agonisingly cool (according to The Times no less) , but the carriers aren't.

No comments:

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie