Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Feeling nervous - Basil at the Vets tomorrow


Tomorrow poor Basil cat has to have some dental work done at the vets. It's hard to know exactly what is going on in his mouth as though his teeth may be in need of some TLC they nonetheless still pack a punch.! I'm taking him in about 10.00 ish and whilst I'm there Jacob bunny will have his myxomatosis vaccination as all the bunnies have them at 6 monthly intervals as recommended.

I find it so hard to leave any of my animals at the vets. they're my family, they all mean the world to me and it's hard being at home when one of them isn't here as it's just not the same. Basil will also be frightened and confused and would expect me to be there to protect him, so I feel bad about that. The risk of anathestic is low but real so that frightens me; it's just a tough time all in all.

Although rabbits don't fast before surgery (and indeed it is dangerous to fast rabbits), Basil had his food removed at 6.00pm and is allowed only water prior to his vet appointment. Just as with people this is to reduce the risk of vomiting under anathestic which is potentially very dangerous. Goodness knows how Basil and Tom of course will cope without their food being around. I shall have to sneak some food to Tom of course but they're used to dry food being available all the time and wet food on demand (i.e. every 5 minutes day and night!).

I am trying to think ahead to this time tomorrow and that everything WILL be fine, but I can't help worrying. Poor Basil came to me absolutely terrified of everything. In the 18 months or so he's been with us he has come along leaps and bounds. Basil is so brave, but having only one eye means that at some point he has seen more than his fair share of vets and so tomorrow will be really hard for him.

My vet is lovely though, a really nice man and the girls who work there are all super too so I know Basil will be cared for. I'm still helpless though and I know they'll be tears tomorrow as there always is when my animals are at the vets. Jacob bunny who is Basils best friend and I will just have to get through the day and tomorrow night he'll hopefully still love me and be pillow nabbing as usual!

One evening he came and sat on the back of the settee above me and I knew things would be OK. To this day Basil is terrified of other people and when the doorbell rings he runs upstairs. In the early days, he was hiding under the bed in the spare room (otherwise known as Erics room and where Jacob hangs on mainly) and Jacob sat right next to Basil and groomed him. It was an amazing sight, Jacob loved Basil long Persian coat. The bond remains and they spend most of their time together indoor sunbathing! Basil sleeps most nights literally on my pillow (not good for allergies, but that's what antihistimines are for), but frequently Basil won't appear until 5.00am or will disappear off early and sneak into see Jacob! Jacob is the kindest creature ever. I always say he is made of love and kindness and he adores company. Basil is a fantastic friend to Jacob as Jacob is to Basil and it makes my heart sing to see my animals friends with one another especially different species.

No comments:

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie