Spring

Spring
Sunshine in a flower

Monday, January 19, 2009

Just because


In the cardmaking world the next big thing (or Holiday as our US friends would say) is 'Valentines Day'. As I spend alot of time on Splitcoaststampers I feel somewhat surrounded by valentine cards so when I came across a card challenge by Linda on her blog, I thought a Valentines theme appropriate! The challenge comes about after Linda reached 10,000 hits on her blog-how amazing is that!? To celebrate this mammouth achievement, Linda is doing a challenge with a prize for the lucky winner.

Linda has designed a sketch as an inspirational guide to the card design she wants and as well as being fun and challenging, the lucky winner will win a Stampin Up (Linda is an S.U. Demonstrator) stamp set from the limited edition 'Sale-a-bration' range. The draw will take place on 24th January which is also the birthday of one of Linda's sons. (Happy Birthday!).

This is my attempt using Linda's sketch. It's almost entirely Stampin Up:

Real Red, Old Olive and very Vanilla cardstock
Real Red and Old Olive ink for the hearts and edging the Very Vanilla panel
'Dashing' designer paper
Real red and very Vanilla grosgrain ribbon
Sticker from a 'Love Notes' sticker pack (not available in the UK currently)

Simple Sayings 2 stamp set used for the sentiment
Happy Hearts for the hearts- raised using stampin dimensionals

Heat and Stick powder
Glitter
Circle punch for cutting a circle from the designer paper for behind the sticker
Corner punch to make the scalloped border as I don't have the S.U. scalloped punch

Versamark black ink as I don't have an SU black one!

The 'Happy Hearts' stamp set and the 'Dashing' designer paper are both retired now but still available while stocks last (feel like I'm on QVC saying that!).

I actually quite struggled with this card-there's alot of elements to incorporate and I don't usually follow sketches or cards I've seen, my cards just evolve somehow by themselves. I do see sketches I like though so must try a few more and once I get the hang of it, hopefully it'll seem easier than this card was to make!

Having said that, I am reasonably pleased with the result-it's certainly alot more minimal than I usually do, which is something I've been trying to do with my cards-take a more simplistic approach. This doesn't make the card 'simpler' or easier to make-quite the opposite and it's certainly alien to me, but I see this card as a step in that direction which is good at least!

1 comment:

Yankee in England said...

Great job on the sketch. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog, it was really helpful.

Humphrey and Sophie

Humphrey and Sophie